The Boys and Girls Club of Brookings
TITLE: Chief Development Officer
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
MISSION: To inspire and enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to realize their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens.
The Chief Development Officer is responsible for utilizing the resources of the whole organization and communities to cultivate relationships and directly solicit & steward support for the Boys & Girls Club of Brookings, Yankton & Moody County through, but not limited to, managing the annual operating campaigns, endowment, capital and planned giving campaigns and grant writing. The Chief Development Officer will work in cooperation with the Chief Executive Officer, Board of Directors and Advisory Councils to strategize and execute resource development plans. They will also manage a full-time Director of Marketing & Special Events and two part-time support staff.
1. Belief, commitment and demonstration of the Boys & Girls Club core values: integrity, high expectations, teamwork and quality
2. Serve as liaison and provide vision and planning for the Resource Development board committees in each Unit and create an annual resource development and marketing plan
3. Create, manage and implement Wildly Ambitious Goals for each annual upcoming year and throughout the year
4. Create monthly board report and provide to Chief Executive Officer
5. Actively participate and contribute to management team by providing vision and direction for Club
6. Provide leadership, direction and problem solving to Unit Directors in the areas of fundraising, marketing and general resource development support
7. Attend and participate in all staff meetings, representing and speaking for development staff
8. Manage marketing and development staff and Brookings by creation and implementation of performance plans, quarterly reviews and individual and team staff meetings
9. Creation of annual resource development budget and staying within budget
10. Creation of annual development & marketing plans for all three Units
11. Supports and articulates the mission and principles of the Boys & Girls Club of Brookings.
12. Responsible for the strategy, implementation, training and follow-up of the annual campaign in all corporate Units
13. Responsible for the strategy, implementation and follow-up of the endowment campaign in all corporate Units
14. Plan and implement the Boys & Girls Club Planned Giving program or capital campaign in all corporate Units
15. Maintain relationships with local, regional and national collaborators in all corporate Units
16. Support Special Events staff in implementation and directly solicit and secure sponsorships in all corporate Units for the Director of Marketing & Special Events.
17. Support staff in the research, identification of potential grants and follow up with grant preparation and submission for all Corporate Units
18. Develops and maintains relationships with other organizations, donors, and potential donors in all corporate Units
19. Directly solicits businesses and individuals for financial support in all corporate Units
20. Update and implement the Boys & Girls Club stewarding plan, as well as advice and guide board of directors
21. Works with investment advisors and partners regarding the endowment
22. Directly steward and be actively involved in a donor centered approach with signing weekly birthday cards, keeping up to date on life events, acknowledging lapsed donors and engaging in donor’s lives and learning their desires.
23. Keep knowledgeable of current agency programs and procedures
24. Keep knowledgeable and pass to Director of Operations parent concerns or statements
25. Managing the in arrears monthly reports, collections and communication with donors and reconciliations with Finance Department
26. Monthly reconciliation of the donor system with the financial system in collaboration with the CFO
27. Upkeep and accuracy of donor records and files in vision and in hard copy
28. Manage and oversee grant requirements & reports
29. Responsible for resource development reporting and follow up including donor records, acknowledgements and reports on contributions and audit support, as required by the IRS
30. Sign all receipts and acknowledgements from the Boys & Girls Club of all Units, unless otherwise assigned by Development Director or Chief Executive Officer.
31. Understanding and create reports, donor history and statistical donor information from donor software
29. Other duties assigned by supervisor
30. Participation in Club wide events as determined necessary by supervisor
1. Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
2. Demonstrated success in fundraising; annual campaigns, grants, endowment and planned giving
3. Knowledge of fundraising techniques and sources of funding for non-profits
4. High level communication skills
5. Ability to work in fast paced, forward thinking and positive work environment
6. Detail driven and mission focused approach to Resource Development
· Must be of the mental and physical capacity to observe, interact, and communicate with youth, staff, volunteers, parents etc. at the Club.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.